Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cranial Prosthesis

That just cracks me up! Believe it or not, most insurance companies will cover a wig for patients receiving chemotherapy. However, they have done their best to make it an unpleasant/funny experience, depending on how you look at it. First, you have to get a prescription for it from your oncologist. It is actually written on the little slip of paper just like a medication prescription. Except that it says: CRANIAL PROSTHESIS. Now, I don't care who you are, that's just funny. So, I can now take that to a wig shop and file the receipt with Tricare to get 80% paid by them. Pretty good. I haven't decided what kind to get yet, but Alex has advised me to get red and not resort to blonde or brown. I guess he just wants me to look like Mama and not some other random lady. I may not even wear it much, but I want it just in case I NEED it for some reason. My friend, Katie, is going to throw me a hat party. That should be fun.

TESTING:

Well, I had the MRI done on Thursday. Chris went with me. He firmly believed that if he swaggered in there in his flight suit that they would let him go back and be with me. Not! The technicians were all very nice. It wasn't as bad as most MRI's. I had to lay on my stomach on a triangular shaped incline pillow with my boobs down in a hole and my forehead (and nose!) on a little head rest like when you get a massage. They shoved squishy earplugs in my ears because it was extremely loud. They gave me an IV for the dye (it took them two sticks - OUCH!). It took about 30-40 minutes. I won't get the results for a couple of days. I also got my chest x-ray, blood work and EKG for my procedure on the 31st.

I really have to adjust to this whole being "sick" thing. I have always gone to the doctor and pridefully filled out those medical history forms with the fire-walled NO's as there is no history of disease or illness in my family. I am the picture of health. I don't drink or smoke or weigh too much or do drugs. Now, all of a sudden I have to go to the doctor constantly and am thrown in waiting rooms full of SICK people who know the office staff by name. What the heck happened?! I don't like being a patient! I'm not patient enough to be a patient!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm coming to visit on May 10th!! yay!!
I have a new funny term that will make you laugh. Did you know that if you are standing in a line and you pass gas it is called cropdusting? hahaha

love, auntie mer mer